Top 5 Key Things
- Stellar Newcomers - Special mention must be made of the newcomers to Top-T cricket who have distinguished themselves with bat and ball over the first two days, proving that it is not as difficult to play here as the veterans pretend it is. All it takes is to be mother-key players. Sriram (Silphosia RUM), taking over for VicP, has established himself as the hardest out in this tournament so far. Narendra and Bonnie (SOSalamia) have literally turned in great shows with the ball.
- Spirit of Competition - Overall standard of competition has been high, and teams have shown excellent sportsmanship in their conduct during the opening stages of the tournament. One hopes that this will continue through the rest of the tourney, when the stakes are raised much higher. A round of applause for the umpires for maintaining firm control over the proceedings.
- Ling - While we were playing cricket, he was out at Marina helping with relief efforts for folks affected by the tsunami.
- Wretch - Besides being the only woman in Bikang CUPtrophy 2004, she also organised all trophies and Om-rolling activities. One understands that her intoxication limits are under strict supervision during the tournament, but let's all have a drink in her name.
- Groundskeeper Willie - Also known as Shengu from The Place Above, for organizing cleaning of TopT in time for and during Bikang CUPtrophy 2004, with able assistance from whoever it was that assisted him (write a comment with those names).
Top 5 Not-key Things
- Tsunami - While we can't argue with a tidal wave the size of the Indian Ocean, we can most definitely curse it for all we're worth. So this bitch comes in and takes out the Eastern shoreline of South India, and kills or ruins a few thousand people, and then comes back the next day for more. Not key at all.
- Computer Manoj - Not to blame proprietor of The Place Above, the aforementioned key Shengu, but lack of crowd noise, music and other such distractions are a blatant disregard for playing conditions, and I recommend a severe reprimand for the computer by BCCB.
- Bikang Manojes the National Antheths - Laziness defeats the craziness, as Zeb said, by most teams ignoring this rather important idea of being a nation. But what is there, let's play some tough and drink off, raa. But what is an oath without an O-th?
- Blog Inactivity - First captains chilled off like goats on the request to nominate a blogger, and then blog volunteers manojed twice by leaving scoresheets at the venue, thereby no longer having a reference for match reports. Maybe we'll pick it up as the tourney continues.
- Rule Interpretation - While most rules were drafted very carefully, interpretation of these rules seem to be an issue. It has been a source of delay/interruption a couple of times already, but hopefully all problems have been sorted out and fixed in time for the home stretch of Bikang CUPtrophy 2004.
Best Fielding Team - MMJOSHI
Best Batting Team - Silphosia RUM
Best Bowling Team - SOS
Best Newcomer - Sriram
Best Batsman - Sriram
Best Bowler - Shengu
Overall Dude - Ling, for recognizing that it's just a game.
Flash News - Karunanidhi is apparently not dead, but is threatening to die off and unleash his minions on a violent glass-smashing spree in a desperate venture to resurrect his not-dead spirit from its deep-resting place in an IV drip bottle somewhere in the ICU at Apollo Hospital. I think it's because the minions don't know which glass container to smash.
Other News - Labdee, one half of the D's, has decided to attend all games and participate as one of two scorers. The question is, will her evil employers, OT (OverTime), share her enthusiasm for Bikang CUPtrophy 2004? Stay tuned, folks, the battle has begun.